DataWriter

January 22, 2011

My Denali Setup Experience

Filed under: Denali,SQLServerPedia Syndication — Joe Casella @ 5:01 pm
Tags: ,

Last week I removed SQL Server from my test server and installed a new default instance of 2008R2 and a named instance of Denail.  The 2008R2 instance was installed with all of its features;  Denali was installed with all of its core features but not SSAS, SSRS, and SSIS.

The Denali documentation is clear and easy to follow and both installers ran without any errors. However, I did run into a few problems that are worth passing along:

First, although the SQL Server Configuration Manager for 2008R2 would launch, it returned a  WMI error and no services for either server version were displayed.  The Denali version, however, worked, and it could be used to configure both versions of SQL Server.

Second, Analysis Services for 2008R2 would not start.  The Windows Server error log contained the following message for the MSSQLServerOLAPService: “Errors in the metadata manager. The data directory of the server does not exist and could not be created.”   

Searching on the error message didn’t return much.  The most helpful information was in this thread on MSDN, which said the error can occur because of an incorrect entry for the data directory in the SSAS configuration file.  On my server the data directory in the msmdsrv.ini file was incorrect, but changing it didn’t resolve the problem.  I eventually gave up and reinstalled SSAS.  After an uninstall/reinstall, SSAS worked.

Finally, I ran into problems installing AdventureWorks for the 2008R2 instance. Each version has its own installer, which is available at Codeplex.   The Denali version worked without any problem, but the 2008R2 installer failed with a fatal error before I was able to choose the target server.  It looks like you can’t install the 2008R2 version of AdventureWorks if you have Denali on the same machine.  Aaron Bertrand has a great post describing the problem.  Luckily, I’d backed up my data directories before the install, so I just reattached the database and I was ready to go.

Both instances are now up and running and I’ve seen no further problems.  .

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: